The Green Heart of Italy
Distance: 5,4 km (8 minutes by car)
It is the city of saints, San Francesco and Santa Chiara, and is the symbol of a message of peace to be breathed in at every step among its beautiful streets. Assisi is an Umbrian jewel in the province of Perugia which gently lies on the slopes of Mount Subasio.
Distance: 20 km (20 minutes by car)
The historic centre of the Umbrian capital is a real fourteenth-century village, one of the most beautiful and loved in Italy. It boasts a very intense city life, linked to the presence of the two historic universities, the University of Studies, founded in 1308, and the University for foreigners, the largest in Italy, but also to the many international events such as Eurochocolate and Umbria Jazz, which attract tourists from all over the world.
Distance: 20km (22 minutes by car)
Set like a jewel in stone. Along the road that leads from Assisi to nearby Foligno.At an altitude of almost three hundred meters on Mount Subasio, you come across this magnificent village which in ancient times the Romans loved to define as the “splendid Julia colony”. The walls, the Augustan gates reused in the Middle Ages, the remains of the amphitheater, the baths: every corner is a strong reference to its origins. Here time found an insurmountable obstacle in the medieval fortifications and decided to stop its course in the fourteenth century. To admire the glimpses of Spello you need to let yourself get tired of the gentle slope and follow the line that connects the Arce gate to the Consular gate on the three main roads.
Distance: 24 km (29 minutes by car)
On a small hill on the western edge of the valley, among those watercourses that have always represented its first natural defense, the centre linked to the Via Flaminia is formed, which even today represents the main course from Porta del Salvatore to Porta Foligno. The ancient «Mevania» became an important stop on the consular road, with consequent rapid urbanization of the area that extended beyond the walls. Three churches overlook it, including the Basilica of S. Silvestro, a jewel of Umbrian Romanesque architecture, and the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, with a magnificent portal and cuspidate bell tower.
Distance: 32 km (40 minutes by car)
It is the homeland of Sagrantino (among the best known and appreciated DOCGs in the region) and from the top of a hill it dominates the plains of Topino and Clitunno offering panoramas of extraordinary beauty, so much so that it deserves the nickname of “railing of Umbria” . For its high tourist as well as environmental quality, Montefalco has been awarded the TCI orange flag.
Distance: 47 km (38 minutes by car)
It is known as the “city of stone” and stands on the side of Mount Ingino: Gubbio will conquer you at first sight with its medieval charm to be discovered in its labyrinth of alleys and narrow streets. Start the tour from the jewel of Gubbio, Piazza Grande or Piazza della Signoria, a “hanging” square overlooking the city. A stone’s throw away is the Renaissance-style Palazzo Ducale. Among the churches you should not miss the cathedral of Santi Mariano e Giacomo. However, the real marvel of Gubbio is the Fontana dei Matti in front of the Bargello palace. Everyone can obtain the certificate of insanity by going three laps around the fountain and getting wet in the presence of a Gubbio inhabitant who certifies it.
Distance: 86 km (80 minutes by car)
Orvieto, one of the most beautiful cities in Umbria, is a city with over three thousand years of history that never ceases to be discovered. Today, its Etruscan origins reveal an underground city in the subsoil, made up of a set of caves, wells, tunnels left by the Etruscans and which open inside the tuffaceous walls. You can make a real journey through time walking in the Orvieto underground. The Cathedral, symbol of the city, is a jewel of Romanesque-Gothic architecture. Among the main works, the splendid golden mosaics that illuminate the facade, and the Chapel of San Brizio, where one of the major pictorial cycles of the Renaissance is located, started by Beato Angelico and finished by Luca Signorelli (1499-1504).
Distance: 53 km (40 minutes by car)
“I have been on the aqueduct, which at the same time is a bridge between one mountain and another. The ten arches that dominate the whole valley, built of bricks, resist safely through the centuries while the water flows perennially”. Thus Goethe, in his “Journey in Italy”, described a magnificent glimpse of the city which, as the poet suggests, should be known from above. Two kilometers of well-preserved walls testify to the ancient grandeur of the city, which still retains the medieval physiognomy assumed under the Lombards, who elevated it to the rank of capital of the duchy and enriched it with buildings, transforming it into an authentic architectural jewel. The valuable places of art, culture and architecture